LT EN DE PL 
home

Foundation

The verdant hills of Verkiai environs, renamed as Golgotha, Mary’s, Zion and the Mount of Olives with the Baltupis Stream resembling the Kidron in Jerusalem, were conducive for a Calvary. The construction of the first wooden church and chapels continued until1669, but there were some facts that Vilnius Bishop himself led a procession from Vilnius to Verkiai on Good Friday, 11 April, 1664. 

In 1665, after the death of Bishop Jerzy Biallozor (~1622- 1665), his heir Bishop Aleksander Sapieha (1624- 1671) was in charge of construction. Probably Bishop himself entrusted the responsibility for Verkiai Calvary and care of its pilgrims to the Dominicans of the Convert of Holy Spirit in Vilnius in 1668. The Calvary ensemble was fully transferred to the Dominican Order after a year. This transfer was certified by the General of the Order in Rome in 1670. The fact that the Calvary in Samogitia had been already vested to Dominican Order supported the choice of the monastic order. Vilnius Calvary was solemnly consecrated on June 9, 1669, the feast of Pentecost.

Though the authorization document issued by Bishop Sapieha vested the Dominicans of Vilnius with the care of the Calvary of Vilnius for good, in 1675 the new Vilnius Bishop Mikolaj Pac (~ 1570- 1684) transferred the Stations of the Cross to Observant Dominicans from Congregation of St Louis Bertrand, who had come from Warsaw. The ensemble burned down that year, so the new established hosts of Verkiai started rebuilding it. The construction work of the first masonry church of the Finding of the Holy Cross (completed by 1700) and a monastery started. In 1683 donations arrived for the construction of the masonry chapels of the Holy Sepulcher and the Abode of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
 

aukštyn