LT EN DE PL 
home

18th century

Verkiai parish was established in 1701. It took the patronage of St Hyacinth (Jackus), a saint who enjoyed extreme popularity with the Dominican brethren. One more sacred architectural ensemble was built at the turn of 17th century. A Trinitarian convent with the Church of the Holy Trinity, called Trinapolis, operated as a branch of the Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross. Though the convent of the Order of the Holy Trinity is not directly on the Stations of the Cross conceptual agenda, the Trinitarians established themselves in this location not by accident. The order, whose mission was rescuing Christian captives from Muslims, was closely related with the earthly Jerusalem and, therefore, meditation on the Passion of Christ was an important part of Trinitarian devotional practice. In 1720, a sculpture of Christ carrying the Cross was blessed in Vilnius. It had been erected 10 years before during an outbreak of the plague in a chapel in Šnipiškės, in the place where pilgrims used to gather for journeys to Jerusalem. The statue of Jesus, which pilgrims passed on their way to Vilnius Calvary, soon gained the fame of being miraculous and became quite popular.

The Dominicans of Vilnius kept protesting their ban from Calvary. Therefore in the summer of 1755, the Calvary was returned to its previous proprietors. The Dominicans of Vilnius launched the construction of an impressive new church, a monastery and 20 new masonry chapels. The main sponsors of the effort were minor nobility from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, with support from the Bishop of Vilnius and other celebrated clergy. The interior of the sanctuary was decorated with frescoes, showing the legend of the Finding and Glorification of the Holy Cross, episodes from the New Testament and other scenes reflecting devotion to the Sacred Heart.

In 1772, the Church of the Finding of the Holy Cross and 20 chapels were consecrated, though the construction work was to continue afterwards. In 1793 a sumptuous sacristy, decorated in stucco, was added to the church. A spacious refectory flanked the convent building.
 

aukštyn