LT EN DE PL 
home

19th century

The architecture of the Calvary ensemble changed little in the 19th century.
The only significant damage was inflicted by the French army, which occupied the church and monastery, turning them into barracks and a hospital in 1812. The buildings caught on fire and were badly devastated. Archives with numerous documents written regarding the history of the place perished in the fire.

After the Napoleonic wars, all the chapels were refurbished. In 1838, very popular with pilgrims “Guide to the Calvary of Vilnius” was published. The short descriptions in verse for each of the stations were written and inscribed inside the chapels and the church (only a couple of these inscriptions have survived). 

The tsarist government appropriated the biggest portion of the property that belonged to the friary of Verkiai in 1842. In a few years the neighbouring Trinitarian convent was closed down and the building was transferred to the Russian Orthodox believers. Verkiai Dominican monastery was closed down in 1850: the Dominicans friars were evicted and send to the monastery of Trakai, while the church was left to the custody of diocesan clergy.

aukštyn